The Cloud Economist is responsible for understanding and optimizing costs, specifically with respect to AWS cloud spend.
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
How You’ll Make an Impact?
You’ll be responsible for understanding and optimizing costs, specifically with respect to AWS cloud spend. While liaising between Finance and TED (Technology, Engineering, and Design) on matters of forecasting and spending, you’ll work to empower data driven decision making on financial matters and advocate for Development teams to operate more effectively.
This is an ideal role for someone with a breadth of technology knowledge and a grounding in business concepts, which lets them help the organization optimize for cost effectiveness.
- Drives the culture of the organization towards cost awareness, predictability, and optimization.
- Is the primary interface between Finance and Engineering for detailed forecasting, budgeting, and billing topics.
- Continuously improves cloud cost effectiveness and predictability through assessment, modeling, and vendor management; this includes making recommendations for both process and technology changes.
- Evaluates deviances between forecasts and actual cloud spend and assists all parts of the organization in improving predictability and lowering spend.
- Develops, audits, and evaluates the model to forecast the core product suite
- Partners with various teams to help forecast and optimize workloads running in cloud systems.
- Identifies and quantifies license compliance and performs some license auditing.
- Gathers data, measures utilization, performs aggregations, and generally establishes rich reporting for self-service visibility to application owners and Finance, all to assist in better understanding and optimizing cloud spend.
- Stays up to date on cloud technology and pricing models in order to offer expertise to other stakeholders.
What you’ll bring to the role:
- Experience working with public cloud (AWS preferred but not required)
- Experience with cost modelling and cost analysis
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong mathematical sense and attention to detail
- Ability to perform requested tasks autonomously and to set your own priorities
- Experience with t-SQL and .NET is considered an asset
- Experience with scripting and automation is considered an asset
- Should be comfortable speaking with both Financial experts and Technical experts, and the ability to translate between the two.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a technical field, preferably Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or Finance.
Why we’re awesome…
Key reasons you should apply:
- Supported to do the best work of your life
- Mission to transform the way the world learns
- #1 company in North America for Candidate Experience (beating out all the other companies you know). Plus, we have an amazing company that keeps winning awards for Most Admired Company Culture, Best Managed, Best Company for Young People, and so many others.
Plus, we also offer:
- Flexible work hours
- Two paid volunteer days
- Health and wellness programs
- Collaborative work environment
- Stock options
- Healthy snacks
- Gym on site
- Various committees including Environmental Advisory Committee and Social Fundraising Committee
- And lots of other great benefits
Thanks for reading the full job profile – hope you are now ready to apply! We are excited to meet you.
Share this job
Disclaimer and Consent:
By clicking on the “Submit Application” button above, you acknowledge, agree and/or provide your explicit consent for the D2L family of companies
- to use the information you have provided for the purpose of considering and evaluating you as a candidate for employment with the D2L family of companies;
- to store your information on their vendor systems;
- to share your information within the D2L family of companies, their vendors, partners or other third parties for the purpose of processing your employment application; and
- to use your personal information to contact you in the future for any other suitable employment opportunities;
The D2L family of companies and its vendors, partners, and third parties and their systems may be located in jurisdictions different from your jurisdiction of residence.
For more information on how the D2L family of companies protects your privacy, please review D2L’s Privacy Statement.
D2L is committed to a fair and inclusive work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer that hires and attracts talent regardless of age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, status as a protected veteran or any other legally protected grounds and will not discriminate on these bases. We draw on diversity of thought and experience to reflect the rich array of cultures representing our broad customer base and we seek talent with diversity of life experiences and perspectives from around the world. If you have special accessibility requirements that need to be considered during the recruitment process, please let us know by emailing us at email@example.com and a member of our HR team will get back to you. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially. D2L maintains a drug-free workplace.
To all recruitment agencies: D2L does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our HR alias e-mail address, to any D2L employee, or to other Desire2Learn e-mail addresses. D2L will not pay any fees related to unsolicited resumes.