Security Data Centers
D2L hosted services are provided by Amazon Web Services (AWS). Physical and operational security controls are implemented and managed by AWS. Details on these controls can be reviewed at AWS Data Centers information page, AWS’ data center controls include
- Physical and Environmental Security
- Fire Detection and Suppression
- Climate and Temperature
- Storage Device Decommissioning – AWS uses the techniques detailed in NIST 800-88 (“Guidelines for Media Sanitization”) as part of the decommissioning process.
- Amazon’s infrastructure fault tolerant design – Core applications are deployed in an N+1 configuration, so that in the event of a data center failure, there is sufficient capacity to enable traffic to be load-balanced to the remaining sites.
- Certification – AWS holds numerous security certifications, which can be reviewed at https://aws.amazon.com/compliance/programs/