Over a thousand of customers, partners, and learning pundits gather to address trends impacting education including MOOCs, personalized learning, and analytics
Desire2Learn Incorporated (“Desire2Learn”), a leading provider of innovative learning solutions, today announced the opening of FUSION 2013, one of the largest gatherings of education and corporate learning professionals from around the world.
Running from July 15th to 17th in Boston, Desire2Learn’s annual users conference features many of the world’s foremost education experts discussing technology’s role in transforming the classroom. The event also includes hundreds of sessions driven by both learning experts and customers to share case studies and best practices on how the application of technology is impacting teaching and learning outcomes for learners globally.
“Desire2Learn is committed to helping our customers use technology to improve education. FUSION is representative of our customer-centric focus, bringing together leaders in education from around the world to share their experiences and insights,” said John Baker, President and CEO of Desire2Learn. “We’re fortunate to have some of education’s best and brightest minds with us this year to discuss how trends such as MOOCs, personalized learning, open education resources, and analytics are driving fundamental changes in the classroom and in corporate learning.”
Keynote Speakers — Transforming the Classroom with Technology
This year’s conference features world-renowned education experts addressing how technology is breaking down educational barriers and improving outcomes for all learners. Keynote speakers include:
- Michael B. Horn, co-author of “Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns” — Horn will describe how the power of disruptive innovation will evolve the education market into a model that is more simple, affordable, and accessible.
- Karen Cator, former Director of the Office of Educational Technology at the U.S. Department of Education — The opportunity for lifelong learning is expanding. The advent of mobile digital technologies and the expansion of the Internet allow for the inclusion of highly produced content and courses as well as deeper interactions. Cator will discuss these opportunities and the barriers to broad adoption that threaten to widen divides between the educated and uneducated.
- Alec Couros, professor of ed tech and media, Coordinator of Information and Communications Technology at the Faculty of Education, University of Regina — Emerging technologies have drastically transformed learning environments and, for the first time in history, students now have the technical ability to learn anywhere, anytime, and with anyone. Couros will outline this new technological reality, feature examples of how social networks can transform learning environments, and guide participants in examining the potentials and pitfalls of 21st century learning.
FUSION Leadership Summit &mdash Developing Strategies for Open Educational Resources (OER)
FUSION’s Leadership Summit brings together executives and stakeholders to share experiences and strategies on the greatest trends in education today. This year’s summit will focus on the concept of OER and delve into how organizations can ensure quality and accuracy, as well as the benefits of using OER in a flipped classroom, a MOOC, or for differentiated instruction. Speakers include:
- Dr. Cable Green, Ph.D., Director, Global Learning Creative Commons: “Open Education: The Business & Policy Case for OER”
- Dr. George Siemens, Ph.D., Associate Director, Technology Enhanced Knowledge Research Institute, Athabasca University: “Knowledge Institutions in an Age of Constant Connectivity”
Vision Tracks and Technology Discussions
In addition to the keynote speakers and industry leaders, Desire2Learn will provide attendees with more than 200 sessions to engage with Desire2Learn subject matter experts, industry thought leaders, educators, and corporate leaders at the forefront of implementing and experimenting with visionary learning concepts. This year’s presentations’ topics include Blended Learning, Defining Personalization (Differentiation, Individualization, and Personalization), Predictive Analytics for Student Success, and Flipped Classroom.
For more information, or to register to attend FUSION 2013, please visit http://fusion.desire2learn.com/fusion/