Contest Challenges Post-Secondary Students to 'Build Something that Matters' and Change the Face of Education
To help channel the innovation shaping the face of education, Desire2Learn today kicked off the Desire2Learn Edge Challenge 2013 by announcing a $10,000 grand prize for the best custom-built application that improves the education experience for teachers, students or administrators. For full details on contest rules and participation, please visit: http://www.desire2learn.com/edgechallenge/.
About The Competition
The Desire2Learn Edge Challenge is a development competition for post-secondary students to create a mobile, web or desktop application that enhances the experience of students, instructors or administrators in an educational context. Participants work in teams to create real-world solutions that will shape the future of education.
How to Enter
Entering and participating in Edge Challenge 2013 is simple. Each entry will consist of two parts:
- A pitch video hosted on YouTube™ outlining the idea behind the application, why it is innovative and how it will work. The deadline for pitch videos is Nov. 11, 2013. A public vote will be conducted through the Desire2Learn Facebook page to choose three Audience Choice Pitch Videos, allowing the contributing teams to bypass Short-Listing and proceed to the Final Judging phase.
- A final video hosted on YouTube and a link to the final, polished application. Both are due on Dec. 16, 2013.
For full details on competitions terms, including eligibility and submission guidelines, please visit: http://www.desire2learn.com/edgechallenge/terms.
Winners Reap the Rewards
Aside from helping change the face of education, all participants will be eligible to win the following prizes:
- Grand Prize: The winning team will receive $10,000 and a trip to FUSION 2014, one of the largest gatherings of education and corporate learning professionals from around the world.
- Participants will also be eligible to participate in the Edge Challenge 2013 Education Series – an entrepreneurship and technology lecture series hosted on the Desire2Learn learning platform.
- Finalists will be announced on January 6, 2014, with the grand prize winner announced on February 6, 2014.
“The Desire2Learn Edge Challenge is one of my favorite initiatives as it combines entrepreneurial spirit and dedication to innovation – both characteristics that have helped fuel our success at Desire2Learn,” said John Baker, President and CEO, Desire2Learn. “The Desire2Learn Edge Challenge is an authentic exercise in the trials and tribulations of the software development industry. Students must work together to create applications that not only work, but are brilliant. It is a difficult challenge, but the results of past year’s winners have been exceptional and we look forward to rewarding the next generation’s great EdTech minds with the recognition they deserve.”