Desire2Learn releases feature enhancements to its Learning Environment, Learning Repository, ePortfolio and 2GO products
Desire2Learn Incorporated (Desire2Learn) a leading provider of mission-critical enterprise eLearning solutions, has announced the release of the latest updates to their comprehensive and flexible suite of online teaching and learning tools enabling clients to collaborate effectively and achieve their eLearning vision through the robust and reliable Desire2Learn learning management system.
“Whether leveraging flexible functionality, facilitating group collaboration, assessing learning outcomes, aligning to standards, ensuring user or institutional success, or accessing all the time, everywhere capability through our mobile application, this latest release provides it,” stated John Baker, Desire2Learn President & CEO.
Desire2Learn Learning Environment 8.4 incorporates new functionality as well as look and feel improvements. With a focus on stability and interoperability, enhancements include:
- Strong focus on extending Desire2Learn’s leadership in the area of accessibility and usability
- Expansion of solid partner relationships including integrations with products such as Turnitin, from iParadigms LLC, for originality checking and online markup of dropbox submissions using GradeMark�*
- Import and authorization enforcement of IMS Common Cartridge packaging standards to enable support of a number of publisher partners
- Packaged competencies from the Achievement Standards Network to permit course activities and assessment to be aligned with academic standards
- Course Package Converter for WebCT, enabling the conversion and import of Vista 4/8 and CE6/8 courses
- Searchable, task-based online Help
Desire2Learn Learning Repository 4.0 incorporates new functionality, ensuring ease of use through tight integration into the Desire2Learn eLearning suite. Instructors are able to create higher quality online instruction with less effort by discovering and reusing state standard aligned learning objects. Interface enhancements include:
- Improved Basic, Advanced and Browse Search Interfaces
- Enhanced metadata editing directly from within the repository
- Extensible metadata and ability to quickly classify resources
- Creative Commons support to make it easier to share resources
Desire2Learn ePortfolio 2.0 focuses on improving opportunities for integration with third-party systems, avoiding lock-in, creating better support for lifelong learning, provision of organization control over tagging and providing opportunities for organizations to introduce structure to the ePortfolio. Enhancements include:
- Full import and export of ePortfolio Items providing rapid acceleration of sharing and support for template building for ePortfolio activity
- Web Services API to enable third-party tool development
- Tag Management to assist organizations in removing inappropriate tags
- Enhanced online help and continued leadership for accessibility and usability
Desire2Learn 2GO is a mobile application built for the BlackBerry� smartphone that provides access to familiar Desire2Learn Learning Environment interfaces and functionality. Integrated into core BlackBerry� features and communication tools, this application is available free to any Desire2Learn client. The following features and functions are enabled:
- View course details and class lists
- View and edit user profile and contact information
- View and edit grade values
- Sign-up for study groups
- Connect to multiple organization sites
Baker indicated “The feature enhancements in this release, deployed on our 10th anniversary, continue to demonstrate our commitment to focusing on the needs and requests of users and institutions to ensure limitless teaching and learning options.”
* Desire2Learn clients must have Turnitin accounts from iParadigms, LLC in order to utilize this feature.
About Desire2Learn Incorporated
Desire2Learn Incorporated is a world-leading provider of enterprise eLearning solutions that enable institutions and other organizations to create teaching and learning environments that reflect their vision, values, goals, pedagogical approaches and branding. Desire2Learn and its subsidiaries support more than five million learners worldwide and clients include higher education, K-12, as well as associations, government and other leading organizations. Founded in 1999, Desire2Learn is headquartered in Kitchener, ON, Canada with personnel located in North America, the U.K. and Australia. For more information, visit: www.Desire2Learn.com, call 1.888.772.0325 or 1.519.772.0325.
Director of Marketing
519.772.0325 ext. 378