Seeking a people leader that is passionate about motivating lifelong learners throughout the world.
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L’s has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
Every day, our software is used by millions of people around the world, and we are looking someone who shares in our excitement and passion for transforming the way the world learns.
Our Learning and Creatives Services department helps D2L customers create engaging, interactive, quality learning experiences in Brightspace. We are a team of highly skilled designers and developers that collaborate with customers every day to create world class online courseware.
We are looking someone to help lead our growing team of instructional designs. The successful candidate is an innovative designer and an industry expert. Enjoys working with creative teams and helping to build a growing line of business. Positively impacts team culture, bringing inspiration and fun to work every day. You’ll reap the rewards of your leadership efforts by watching the team grow and deliver exceptional customer service and industry leading courseware to our clients.
How will I make an impact?
This role will have people leadership responsibilities, as well as functional responsibilities, as a lead designer on some of our larger, more complex projects.
Functional role responsibilities include:
- Collaborate with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), clients and internal stakeholders to conduct needs/audience analysis and develop learning objectives
- Create storyboards, write narrative scripts, and determine instructional strategies and media elements (graphics, animation, and audio) to be used in courses
- Drive team collaboration to a shared understanding of course content and requirements to arrive at effective graphic approach, technical development, navigation, and functionality with members of the Learning and Creative team
- Design and develop training collateral to support a variety of training options including instructor led, eLearning, virtual classroom and blended
- Work closely with designers, developers and other staff to deliver world-class, quality solutions
- Ensure quality of work output is of the highest standard
- Establish clear lines of communication with colleagues and customers
Leadership responsibilities include:
Team Performance and People:
- You will lead a team of instructional designers
- You will coach and provide opportunities to grow their skills, provide career path opportunities, give regular feedback and create a collaborative and open environment
- Serve as an advisor for your team
- Participate in development of role principles, processes, and plans
- Collaborate through cross-functional teams to accomplish established corporate and team goals and effectively manage relationships with other D2L teams
- Responsible for supporting vision, planning and defining team objectives, and leading execution of objectives
- Work with management to drive productivity, efficiency, and hold team accountable for high quality outcomes
- Play key role with interviewing and onboarding new team members. Provide expertise and coaching/mentorship to the team members.
- Produce and actively participate in knowledge sharing as well as professional development initiatives
- Promoting a positive and effective work environment
- Collect, summarize, and share team activities, metrics, and other information on regular basis
Solutions & Offerings:
- Drive innovation and continual improvement within the department
- Work with all department teams to seek, share, and adopt ideas and best practices inside and outside the company to drive application of proper development and design strategies
- Gather and analyze client needs by conducting requirements analysis sessions or other appropriate means
- Lead the design of online program development using the features and functionality of D2L technology
- Proactively look for opportunities to grow the business and provide value to existing clients and prospects through new and improved capabilities and practices across the team.
Clients and Projects:
- Assist in the assignment of projects based on knowledge of team skills
- Assist with the management of the library of commonly used assets and design templates
- Handle client and internal escalations related to team capabilities
- Review, create, and update documentation and knowledge base articles for use by both staff and clients.
- Other duties may be assigned based on need
What You'll Bring:
- Ideally the candidate will have a Master's degree in Instructional Design, Instructional Technology, Education or equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience designing and developing online courseware and learning solutions – preferably in a customer facing environment
- Experience supporting multiple customer segments is considered an asset - K-12, Higher Education, Corporate, Government
- Previous people leadership responsibilities is preferred
- In-depth knowledge of instructional design principles and practices including the ADDIE model, adult learning principles, interactive learning design and blended learning techniques
- In-depth knowledge of industry standard instructional design and content authoring tools
- Innovative and creative thinker with entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong analytical, consulting and organizational abilities
Why we’re awesome…
Key reasons you should apply:
- Supported to do the best work of your life
- Mission to transform the way the world learns
Plus, we also offer:
- Flexible work hours
- Two paid volunteer days
- Health and wellness programs
- Collaborative work environment
Thanks for reading the full job profile – hope you are now ready to apply! We are excited to meet you.
Share this job
Disclaimer and Consent:
By clicking on the “Submit Application” button above, you acknowledge, agree and/or provide your explicit consent for the D2L family of companies
- to use the information you have provided for the purpose of considering and evaluating you as a candidate for employment with the D2L family of companies;
- to store your information on their vendor systems;
- to share your information within the D2L family of companies, their vendors, partners or other third parties for the purpose of processing your employment application; and
- to use your personal information to contact you in the future for any other suitable employment opportunities;
The D2L family of companies and its vendors, partners, and third parties and their systems may be located in jurisdictions different from your jurisdiction of residence.
For more information on how the D2L family of companies protects your privacy, please review D2L’s Privacy Statement.
D2L is committed to a fair and inclusive work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer that hires and attracts talent regardless of age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, status as a protected veteran or any other legally protected grounds and will not discriminate on these bases. We draw on diversity of thought and experience to reflect the rich array of cultures representing our broad customer base and we seek talent with diversity of life experiences and perspectives from around the world. If you have special accessibility requirements that need to be considered during the recruitment process, please let us know by emailing us at [email protected] and a member of our HR team will get back to you. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially. D2L maintains a drug-free workplace.
To all recruitment agencies: D2L does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our HR alias e-mail address, to any D2L employee, or to other Desire2Learn e-mail addresses. D2L will not pay any fees related to unsolicited resumes.