As a Senior Strategic Intelligence Analyst, you will build out a new mandate within the Strategy team to develop thematic viewpoints on business portfolio priorities. These insights will inform investments that drive both organic and inorganic growth strategies for D2L. Specifically, you will play a key role in helping the organization build key capabilities in strategic intelligence and strategy.
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L’s has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
Reporting to the Chief Strategy Officer, in this role, you will build out a new mandate within the Strategy team to develop thematic viewpoints on business portfolio priorities. These insights will inform investments that drive both organic and inorganic growth strategies for D2L.
Specifically, you will play a key role in helping the organization build key capabilities in strategic intelligence and strategy.
HOW WILL I MAKE AN IMPACT?
Guiding our Corporate Portfolio Strategy
- Develop a deep understanding of D2L’s long-term strategy and business goals to form context around our portfolio expansion efforts.
- Conduct deep discovery work on potential new solution categories and emerging spaces in our ecosystem.
- Actively build and maintain awareness of market trends and developments through various sources (e.g., secondary research, competitor actions, industry developments).
- Work closely with other strategy team members to research long-term macro themes in education, training, and learning technologies.
- Develop detailed market ecosystem maps that provide leadership with a strategic view on various adjacent markets.
- Develop a deep understanding of where “smart money” is going in our ecosystem through holistic market research. Outside of your own domain expertise and investigative efforts with various market intelligence platforms:
- You will build relationships with emerging startups, VCs/investors, incubators/accelerators, and other industry participants, and attend industry conferences and tradeshows to build a comprehensive viewpoint on sectors that D2L should be exploring for long-term strategic growth.
- You will also liaise with various teams at D2L such as corporate development, product management, marketing, sales, finance, and customer success to garner on the ground feedback and intelligence from D2Lers who interact with our customers and other industry participants on a regular basis.
- Publish periodic deep dives on strategic sectors of the ecosystem and present your findings to leadership and other senior members of management.
- Work on ad-hoc strategic research projects for senior leadership (e.g., research to facilitate board offsite meetings, investor and other stakeholder communications).
- Serve as a subject matter authority on D2L’s ever changing landscape, providing senior leaders across the organization with a snapshot of our ecosystem and potential opportunities and threats.
- Combine your deep knowledge of the ecosystem with robust market research and intelligence to help formulate our corporate strategy along with other Strategy team members.
Helping Drive our Inorganic and Organic Growth Efforts
- Work closely with our new ventures and corporate development teams on acquisitions and strategic investments:
- Leverage your growing network in our ecosystem to facilitate prospecting for the Corporate Development team.
- Help investigate target market sectors and formulate a market thesis that will inform our investment decisions.
- Help develop detailed bottom-up market sizing estimates and help formulate a competitive landscape view on the target market.
- Work closely with our new ventures and product management teams on organic new lines of business:
- Leverage your deep understanding of market sectors in the ecosystem to help organic growth teams inform product roadmaps, go-to-market strategies, and business plans.
WHAT YOU'LL BRING TO THE ROLE:
- Approximately 5 years of experience as an industry analyst, management consultant, corporate strategy professional, strategic intelligence professional, or similar, in the Education Technology and/or Corporate Learning space.
- Deep knowledge of key trends and players in the Education Technology and Corporate Learning ecosystem.
- Strong existing relationships with emerging companies, investors, and industry analysts/thought leaders in the Education Technology and Corporate Learning space.
- Demonstrable ability to apply strategic frameworks to business roadmap and portfolio growth cases.
- Demonstrable ability to formulate and narrate an insightful and compelling market thesis to senior executives and key stakeholders.
- Command of corporate strategy frameworks and concepts, with a strong ability to understand the business impact of strategic decisions.
- Strong quantitative skills with a foundational understanding of economic and financial concepts (e.g., market sizing, profitability measures). You don’t need to be a world-class financial modeler but need to be able to decipher financial statements and understand model drivers.
Why we’re awesome…
Key reasons you should apply:
- Supported to do the best work of your life
- Mission to transform the way the world learns
- #1 company in North America for Candidate Experience (beating out all the other companies you know). Plus, we have an amazing company that keeps winning awards for Most Admired Company Culture, Best Managed, Best Company for Young People, and so many others.
Plus, we also offer:
- Flexible work hours
- Two paid volunteer days
- Health and wellness programs
- Collaborative work environment
- Stock options
- Healthy snacks
- Gym on site
- Various committees including Environmental Advisory Committee and Social Committee
- And lots of other great benefits
Share this job
Disclaimer and Consent:
By clicking on the “Submit Application” button above, you acknowledge, agree and/or provide your explicit consent for the D2L family of companies
- to use the information you have provided for the purpose of considering and evaluating you as a candidate for employment with the D2L family of companies;
- to store your information on their vendor systems;
- to share your information within the D2L family of companies, their vendors, partners or other third parties for the purpose of processing your employment application; and
- to use your personal information to contact you in the future for any other suitable employment opportunities;
The D2L family of companies and its vendors, partners, and third parties and their systems may be located in jurisdictions different from your jurisdiction of residence.
For more information on how the D2L family of companies protects your privacy, please review D2L’s Privacy Statement.
D2L is committed to a fair and inclusive work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer that hires and attracts talent regardless of age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, status as a protected veteran or any other legally protected grounds and will not discriminate on these bases. We draw on diversity of thought and experience to reflect the rich array of cultures representing our broad customer base and we seek talent with diversity of life experiences and perspectives from around the world. If you have special accessibility requirements that need to be considered during the recruitment process, please let us know by emailing us at [email protected] and a member of our HR team will get back to you. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially. D2L maintains a drug-free workplace.
To all recruitment agencies: D2L does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our HR alias e-mail address, to any D2L employee, or to other Desire2Learn e-mail addresses. D2L will not pay any fees related to unsolicited resumes.