The Senior Media Relations Manager will work on elevating awareness of D2L, our mission, innovations and thought leadership with key media, including trade, traditional and new media. The role will also be directly responsible for developing deeper relationships with media to ensure D2L’s proactive outreach lands well but also, so we are seen as a more authoritative voice for media to turn to in developing their own pieces on edtech, the future of work and learning and any issues related to our sector generally. This is a chance to help D2L take our profile to the next level and become a respected and staple name.
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L’s has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
Reporting to the Director of External Strategic Communications, the Senior Media Relations Manager will work on elevating awareness of D2L, our mission, innovations and thought leadership with key media, including trade, traditional and new media. The role will also be directly responsible for developing deeper relationships with media to ensure D2L’s proactive outreach lands well but also, so we are seen as a more authoritative voice for media to turn to in developing their own pieces on edtech, the future of work and learning and any issues related to our sector generally. This is a chance to help D2L take our profile to the next level and become a respected and staple name.
Achieving these objectives will mean developing a wider strategy for D2L’s media engagement in Canada and the United States, while supporting internationally. The focus of this position is primarily the Canadian market but experience driving strategies and bringing coherence to media relations across an organization will be a key asset. We are looking for someone who can handle themselves in the cut and thrust of media relations, be cool under that pressure but also carve out the space day to day to be creative in which media pursue and how we go about that pursuit.
HOW WILL I MAKE AN IMPACT?
The successful candidate will be able to provide media relations expertise and work with senior management to help profile D2L with key media. The ideal candidate will be entrepreneurial, a self-starter and a consummate professional with a strong background in communications, extensive media relations experience securing earned media coverage and drafting media materials. They will have outstanding written and verbal communications and presentation skills, including a track record of developing and securing new media opportunities.
- Deep working knowledge of regional, national and international media segments
- Develop and drive a media relations strategy and constantly refresh the tactics that flow from it
- Support the writing of news releases, opinion editorials, letters to the editor, articles, key messages, media analyses and strategy documents
- Cultivate and enhance collaborative working relationships with media
- Ability to understand and define story angles
- Proactively pitch stories to media (covering North America) and obtain coverage
- Closely monitor media stories and trends, identify risks and opportunities that affect the industry, and help formulate pro-active strategies on how to respond
- Communicate D2L’s mission, vision and products to media in a positive, consistent and credible manner. Ability to handle sensitive information while maintaining confidentiality.
- Strong leadership capabilities, with a proven track record of building strong relationships with senior executives
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of journalism, print, broadcast and digital media, including issues management
- Develop briefs and support media training
- Proven track record securing national top tier coverage
- Supporting fully integrated communications strategies
WHAT YOU'LL BRING TO THE ROLE:
- Exceptional writing and communication skills
- Media contacts with tech and business media is a strong asset
- Superior organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously under tight deadlines
- Exceptional attention to detail including well-developed analytical skills and strategic thinking
- Must be able to work independently and as a part of a team, while staying organized to manage multiple priorities
- Experience liaising with media from national, regional and local news outlets
- Experience in issues (and crisis) management
- Understanding of social media
- Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: :
- 5+ years of experience in a related media relations role
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or a related disciplin
Why we’re awesome…
Key reasons you should apply:
- Supported to do the best work of your life
- Mission to transform the way the world learns
- #1 company in North America for Candidate Experience (beating out all the other companies you know). Plus, we have an amazing company that keeps winning awards for Most Admired Company Culture, Best Managed, Best Company for Young People, and so many others.
Plus, we also offer:
- Flexible work hours
- Two paid volunteer days
- Health and wellness programs
- Collaborative work environment
- Healthy snacks
- Gym on site
- Various committees including Environmental Advisory Committee and Social Committee
- And lots of other great benefits
Share this job
Disclaimer and Consent:
By clicking on the “Submit Application” button above, you acknowledge, agree and/or provide your explicit consent for the D2L family of companies
- to use the information you have provided for the purpose of considering and evaluating you as a candidate for employment with the D2L family of companies;
- to store your information on their vendor systems;
- to share your information within the D2L family of companies, their vendors, partners or other third parties for the purpose of processing your employment application; and
- to use your personal information to contact you in the future for any other suitable employment opportunities;
The D2L family of companies and its vendors, partners, and third parties and their systems may be located in jurisdictions different from your jurisdiction of residence.
For more information on how the D2L family of companies protects your privacy, please review D2L’s Privacy Statement.
D2L is committed to a fair and inclusive work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer that hires and attracts talent regardless of age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, status as a protected veteran or any other legally protected grounds and will not discriminate on these bases. We draw on diversity of thought and experience to reflect the rich array of cultures representing our broad customer base and we seek talent with diversity of life experiences and perspectives from around the world. If you have special accessibility requirements that need to be considered during the recruitment process, please let us know by emailing us at email@example.com and a member of our HR team will get back to you. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially. D2L maintains a drug-free workplace.
To all recruitment agencies: D2L does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our HR alias e-mail address, to any D2L employee, or to other Desire2Learn e-mail addresses. D2L will not pay any fees related to unsolicited resumes.