The Director, Strategic Communications, at D2L is a new position, created apart from the Marketing Team, to ensure we are telling our story to the key audiences that can influence our corporate objectives. The position starts each day obsessed with protecting D2L’s corporate identity and reputation, building awareness of who we are as a company and trust with key stakeholders. We are looking for someone who will live and breathe D2L’s values and objectives and make sure those are consistently reflected in all communications.
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L’s has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
Are you passionate about communications? Do you want to transform the way the world learns? Do you want to be part of a growing, creative and world-class education technology company? Do you want be part and parcel of protecting and amplifying a corporate brand?
The Senior Director, Strategic Communications, at D2L is a new position, created apart from the Marketing Team, to ensure we are telling our story to the key audiences that can influence our corporate objectives. The position starts each day obsessed with protecting D2L’s corporate identity and reputation, building awareness of who we are as a company and trust with key stakeholders. We are looking for someone who will live and breathe D2L’s values and objectives and make sure those are consistently reflected in all communications.
At D2L, we define strategic communications as follows:
- Strategic Communications owns the company narrative, our identity and reputation, supporting every other function at the company who draw from it
- Strategic Communications ensures there isn’t a “Say/Do” gap (say one thing, do another)
- Strategic Communications is responsible for setting communications strategy and ensuring that the non-buyer audience is well-messaged, e.g. public investors, policy makers, parents, sector orgs, unions, analysts, the public, etc.
Working under the general direction of the Chief Strategy Officer, the Director, Strategic Communications is responsible for leading, developing and executing communications for the company and creating a cohesive communication strategy across the organization. This leader will provide counsel and support to all senior leaders within D2L regarding all communications-related issues and to act as custodian of the corporate identity and overall reputation of the group.
He/she requires an excellent understanding of communications and how to effectively pull together the corporate history, vision and company strategy for D2L into a narrative that is deployed through a variety of channels to all stakeholders. Ideally, this person comes to the position with some exposure to the education sector, government relations, issues management and the technology sector.
The Senior Director, Strategic Communications, will be responsible for creating, translating, defending and amplifying D2L’s corporate identity across the company, ensuring the core essence of the who we are is explicitly or implicitly woven into all facets of D2L’s communications with stakeholders, particularly non-buyers.
The Senior Director, Strategic Communications briefs the CSO and Senior Leadership Team (SLT) on key issues; provides leadership, information, advice, and direction to support the effective operation of the communications portfolio across D2L.
HOW WILL I MAKE AN IMPACT?
- Develop and execute corporate communication strategies, including coordination between both internal and external messaging - in support of D2L’s overall strategy.
- Develop, refine corporate D2L narrative and messaging
- Create a process to ensure messaging is reflected in everything we do/say
- Ensure that all communications strategies and activities support the desired positioning of the company.
- Develop an issues management plan for the company, including high-level response plans and messaging
- Oversee crisis communications, including building processes for leadership to escalate and calibrate around crisis communications
- Lead strategic communications planning across D2L
- Create and control a master messaging calendar, including SLT corporate events, announcements, and speaking engagements
- Work with the various business units to assist with their external communications needs.
- Support executive profile building efforts, and public platform development
- Compile and manage the budget for Corporate Communications.
- Manage a team of up to four, including contractors, public relations’ agencies and social media managers
WHAT YOU'LL BRING TO THE ROLE:
- Relevant degree in Communications or Journalism
- 10+ years’ experience in strategic or corporate communications
- Solid management experience
- Previous experience in media relations, CSI and internal communications
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills, including managing cross-functional communications
- Strong sense of personal ownership in execution
- Excellent presentation skills
- High attention to detail and ability to generate creative concepts
- Initiative, excellent planning and organizational skills
- Results oriented
- Strong leadership skills
WHY WE'RE AWESOME…
- Supported to do the best work of your life
- Mission to transform the way the world learns
- #1 company in North America for Candidate Experience (beating out all the other companies you know). Plus, we have an amazing company that keeps winning awards for Most Admired Company Culture, Best Managed, Best Company for Young People, and so many others.
Plus, we also offer:
- Flexible work hours
- Two paid volunteer days
- Health and wellness programs
- Collaborative work environment
- Stock options
- Healthy snacks
- Gym on site
- Various committees including Environmental Advisory Committee and Social Committee
- And lots of other great benefits
Share this job
Disclaimer and Consent:
By clicking on the “Submit Application” button above, you acknowledge, agree and/or provide your explicit consent for the D2L family of companies
- to use the information you have provided for the purpose of considering and evaluating you as a candidate for employment with the D2L family of companies;
- to store your information on their vendor systems;
- to share your information within the D2L family of companies, their vendors, partners or other third parties for the purpose of processing your employment application; and
- to use your personal information to contact you in the future for any other suitable employment opportunities;
The D2L family of companies and its vendors, partners, and third parties and their systems may be located in jurisdictions different from your jurisdiction of residence.
For more information on how the D2L family of companies protects your privacy, please review D2L’s Privacy Statement.
D2L is committed to a fair and inclusive work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer that hires and attracts talent regardless of age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, status as a protected veteran or any other legally protected grounds and will not discriminate on these bases. We draw on diversity of thought and experience to reflect the rich array of cultures representing our broad customer base and we seek talent with diversity of life experiences and perspectives from around the world. If you have special accessibility requirements that need to be considered during the recruitment process, please let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our HR team will get back to you. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially. D2L maintains a drug-free workplace.
To all recruitment agencies: D2L does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our HR alias e-mail address, to any D2L employee, or to other Desire2Learn e-mail addresses. D2L will not pay any fees related to unsolicited resumes.