The Product Manager will be responsible for the success of their product features, from overall product alignment to specific product requirements through to delivery to the market and end-of-life. The selected candidate will have a strong background in software product management and be a cross-functional leader, strategic thinker, continuous learner, and active contributor with the proven ability to deliver high-quality software solutions to the market.
D2L is a cloud company that is modernizing education and building the Future of Work. The old models of teaching and learning are in the midst of the largest transformation in history, and D2L is at the heart of that fundamental shift.
New models of teaching and learning enable a personalized, student-centric experience – and deliver improved retention, engagement, satisfaction, and results for learners of all ages – in schools, campuses, and companies.
D2L is disrupting the way the world learns, by providing the next generation learning environment and solutions to engage and inspire learners. And most importantly, by giving customers a platform that is easy, flexible, and smart. No other company provides a solution as robust and innovative as D2L.
D2L’s has had a singular mission for 20 years and is dedicated to that same mission in the years ahead: to transform the way the world learns – and by doing so, we will help improve human potential globally.
Every day, our software is used by millions of people around the world, and we are looking for individuals who share in our excitement and passion for transforming the way the world learns. At D2L, we believe that learning should be accessible and engaging. Our goal is to create easy, flexible, and smart software that ignites the desire to learn in everyone. To do this, we need to give talented, enthusiastic, and passionate people opportunities to create, develop, and collaborate on projects that revolutionize the learning environment.
As a Product Manager for our Video team, you will be responsible for continuing to define and grow D2L’s roadmap and Video strategy. Encompassing all manners of video and media objects, you will be responsible for the success of your set of product features, from overall alignment to D2L strategy, to specific product requirements, through delivery to the market, and end of life. The selected candidate will have a strong background in software product management and be a cross-functional leader, strategic thinker, and active contributor with the proven ability to deliver high-quality software solutions to the market. Having a good understanding of video / video streaming market and requirements would be a benefit.
This role will be instrumental in conceiving, defining, planning, and executing on a software solution strategy that directly contributes to our organization’s success across several key metrics.
- Works on complex issues where analysis using professional/technical expertise and experience of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- Is responsible for decisions that impact the scheduling, planning and successful completion of project/function deliverables.
- Takes initiative to resolving problems and provides alternative recommendations thinking through all aspects of a solution.
- Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Act as the ‘evangelist’ of your product features, internally and externally
- Represent the 'voice of our customers' to internal teams
- Develop plans for new features and workflows for D2L based on strategic priorities, industry experience, customer feedback, and marketplace research/trends/analytics.
- Own and define the full product lifecycle as a subject matter expert regarding assigned problems and their resulting solutions
- Manage the priority of features with stakeholders throughout the solution life cycle
- Groom and prioritize a team backlog in collaboration with others
- Work directly with Development Managers and Product Designers, in order to manage multi-project priorities and timelines
- Collaborate with customers and prospects to better understand their challenges
- Collaborate with Engineering and Design to identify feasible solutions with appropriate scoping
- Create the necessary artifacts to communicate requirements, scope, solution proposals and project status effectively
- Manage the impact of scope change and priority with all stakeholders
- Authoring feature-level details in collaboration with development managers and teams
- Collaborate with Engineering and Design to define user stories that fulfill market requirements including detailed and accurate success criteria
- Participate and contribute to team rituals (Sprint Planning, Retros, Sprint Demos, Stand-ups)
- Ensure products are delivered on schedule and with high quality results
- Develop and regularly maintain a data-driven product backlog to deliver on the product vision and roadmap.
- Clearly communicate the larger product vision and specific product requirements across the organization, from senior executives to agile team members
Work Experience Recommendations:
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a fast-paced technical environment in the role of Product Manager or Product Owner
- Previous experience in delivery of video or streaming media
- Experience defining and writing business requirements
- Experience assessing the scope and effort required to deliver required software solutions
- A strong understanding of current web, data, and cloud technologies
- Ability to actively manage competing priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to take a leadership role when making data driven decisions
- Individual must be a creative thinker, confident and able to express complex ideas in an articulate, concise manner – especially to senior executives.
- Prior experience leading technical and business teams desired
- Agile development experience desired
- Agile planning methodologies desired
- A sharp wit and finely tuned sense of humor desired
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Business, Computer Science, Engineering, or related fields of study.
Why we’re awesome:
- Flexible work hours
- Health and wellness programs
- Collaborative work environment
- Dog Friendly office (Kitchener)
- Snacks and food trays!
- Foosball and Ping-Pong tables
- Centrally located in downtown, close to restaurants and pubs, easily accessible by public transit
Share this job
Disclaimer and Consent:
By clicking on the “Submit Application” button above, you acknowledge, agree and/or provide your explicit consent for the D2L family of companies
- to use the information you have provided for the purpose of considering and evaluating you as a candidate for employment with the D2L family of companies;
- to store your information on their vendor systems;
- to share your information within the D2L family of companies, their vendors, partners or other third parties for the purpose of processing your employment application; and
- to use your personal information to contact you in the future for any other suitable employment opportunities;
The D2L family of companies and its vendors, partners, and third parties and their systems may be located in jurisdictions different from your jurisdiction of residence.
For more information on how the D2L family of companies protects your privacy, please review D2L’s Privacy Statement.
D2L is committed to a fair and inclusive work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer that hires and attracts talent regardless of age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, status as a protected veteran or any other legally protected grounds and will not discriminate on these bases. We draw on diversity of thought and experience to reflect the rich array of cultures representing our broad customer base and we seek talent with diversity of life experiences and perspectives from around the world. If you have special accessibility requirements that need to be considered during the recruitment process, please let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our HR team will get back to you. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially. D2L maintains a drug-free workplace.
To all recruitment agencies: D2L does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our HR alias e-mail address, to any D2L employee, or to other Desire2Learn e-mail addresses. D2L will not pay any fees related to unsolicited resumes.