This post was originally published in the Brightspace Community:
We are very excited to launch the next version of our community site—the Brightspace Community—to help meet the growing needs of our diverse community of users. Community is all about people sharing something in common. For D2L’s 1100+ clients, 13+ million users, 100+ partners, and 300+ developers, that something is education and the desire to learn.
Earlier this year, we created a new Client Enablement team at D2L. We consolidated our training and technical writing resources, added instructional design and community facilitators, and provided them your feedback regarding documentation, training, and open collaboration. They arranged for listening sessions with clients, sifted through thousands of survey comments and usage reports, talked with internal teams here at D2L, and researched innovative ways to approach the challenges you face.
We looked at several opportunities that you identified as important to you:
- You wanted no barriers to access. It has to be easy to get in, engage, contribute, and participate.
- You wanted connections with D2L to collaborate on projects that will be beneficial to the entire Community.
- You wanted more self-help resources and content such as best practices, answers, webinars, documentation, and professional development opportunities.
- You wanted access to people, conversations, and true social networking.
In response, we have redesigned the community to better support your needs:
- We are using technology designed and built for developing and supporting online communities. D2L delivers an integrated learning platform rich with engagement touch-points as the foundation for achieving our mission.
- Community management and facilitation will ensure community members have points of contact and people to monitor and measure the health of the community as well as drive programmatic initiatives.
- We are providing more resource creators, integrated systems, and how-to videos. We’re communicating in a more authentic voice, serving our global and diverse membership with greater speed and frequency while providing the fodder and focus for engagement.
- A dedicated Teaching & Learning Community, facilitated by Barbra Thoeming and Barry Dahl. Here you’ll find leading teaching and learning content contributions from the client community as well as an ongoing series of professional development initiatives and opportunities.
Some additional features include:
- Hundreds of HTML5 videos on how to use the Brightspace platform
- Additional documentation, videos, help files, discussions, etc.
- A Twitter channel to ask us how-to questions: @BrightspaceHelp
- No login required to access most resources, participate in discussions, or provide feedback
We are so excited to finally unveil our labour of love and we hope you like the result. This is only the start of our journey. Sign up for notifications, leave us feedback, and come back frequently as we continue to add more functionality, create more opportunities for you to get involved, and open up new channels of collaboration, contribution, and opportunity.
We would like to take the time to thank our clients who have provided their ideas and their feedback on the new direction. Your valuable input has inspired innovative ways for us create an engaging experience!