Learning Gets Personal with Autumn16
The latest release of Brightspace provides new ways for instructors to deliver real-time feedback to learners and use video to create more engaging learning experiences.
“Today’s learners are part of an on-demand generation,” says D2L President and CEO John Baker. “They don’t watch TV, they watch Netflix. They don’t buy CDs, they stream songs. Their world is personalized – geared to their interests, delivered to them on their time, in formats they choose. Education has to be delivered the same way, or it won’t accomplish what we need it to do – which is to transform the lives of our students and improve our world.”
Indeed, as the way we consume content has changed, so too has the way we learn. That’s why the latest updates to the Brightspace platform are focused on personalizing the experience to more deeply engage and empower learners.
Personalized Feedback that is Easier to Share
Students want to feel like they’re more than just a number, especially when they’re in a large class. With Autumn16, it’s easier than ever to reach all of your learners with personalized feedback.
- Improvements to our Intelligent Agents tool makes it easy to send personalized and motivating feedback and messages to learners at critical moments.
“Intelligent agents are a godsend. With 1,500+ students in my subject, they have made such a difference to my ability to engage and communicate with each and every one of them. With so many students, it would be impossible to achieve the same level of interaction manually. Not only are students highly satisfied in my course (always above 90%) but they have helped increase our retention rate too,” said Jaclyn Broadbent, Senior Lecturer, Deakin University.
More Ways for Learners to Leverage Video and Express Their Knowledge
For a generation that grew up on YouTube™ videos, video has become a key medium for self-expression, and a key way to learn. So far this year, D2L has amped up video capabilities in Brightspace, including Brightspace Capture (Lecture Capture), video response in Discussions, and the recently announced Virtual Classroom.
Brightspace Autumn16 sees more enhancements to Virtual Classroom and new Video Assignment capabilities that lets students prove what they’ve learned.
- Virtual Classroom allows educators and learners to interact at a whole new level online, and the latest enhancements with polling, status icons, and advanced moderator settings continue to improve that experience.
- Video Assignment is an authentic form of assessment that will give your learners a new way to demonstrate their knowledge and soft skills.
- Video Presentation (one of seven Video Assignment types) is now included at no charge for D2L customers. D2L also announces premium versions of Virtual Classroom and Video Assignment tools available at a discount until December 31, 2016.
Daylight User Experience Improvements, and Enhanced Support for 3rd Party Tools and Content with Open Standards
The Brightspace Daylight Experience is our new user experience that is currently available for test environments and it’s making the learning environment responsive, so learners will be able to access their courses from any device, wherever they are.
- Autumn16 rolls out many improvements to Daylight, including allowing instructors to personalize the layout of their courses with custom course widgets. Also in Autumn16, it’s faster for instructors to create a multiple choice quiz and allow learners to choose when, where, and on whatever device they want to take it.
- D2L is also extending its leadership in supporting open standards within the Brightspace Platform. IMS LTI Content Item Message support deepens our commitment to open standards and makes it easier for instructors to use third-party tools and content.