We know that competency-based education (CBE) has been around since the sixties, but I believe it’s more relevant now than ever. With only a fraction of America’s 18 million undergraduates being traditional students, the student demographic has changed and educational institutions have to keep up.
Many students today don’t follow the typical four-year path to get a college degree. They can pursue education on their own time, at their own pace. Here at D2L, we realize the importance of providing a flexible learning management system (LMS) that can support any model, from online to blended, to competency-based education programs, and everything in between. There are many educational institutions already well-versed in CBE, but there are also a lot that are just starting out. By helping institutions implement CBE, we believe we can help make a greater impact on their enrollment and attainment rates. This is why I’m excited to share the release of our new Competency-Based Education solution.
With a partner to rely on for support at every step, our new solution will allow you to run your own CBE programs and courses. The Brightspace Competency-Based Education Solution sets you up with all of the software and services you will need to get started:
Learn about CBE concepts and best practices from the experts
- To help kick things off, the CBE Getting Started Service will teach you how you can launch CBE at your own institution.
- Along with access to the self-serve CBE resources on the Brightspace Community, you can talk to others who are creating and running their own CBE programs.
Get help with design and implementation to build great CBE courses
- CBE Strategic Planning Service will help you create a strategic plan for how to incorporate a CBE program into your curriculum.
- We’ll also help you transform course modules into CBE offerings and make sure that competencies are aligned with content and assessments with the CBE Course Uplift Service.
An LMS that’s CBE-ready
- Brightspace is a CBE-ready LMS that offers a variety of assessment types, an adaptive learning engine, an ePortfolio tool, and a badging tool. Our cloud-based platform makes it easy to trigger next steps based on performance, automate immediate feedback, and use multiple assessment methods to demonstrate mastery.
- We can even help you roll out your CBE offering over time, with the CBE Change Management Service.
Customer Success with CBE
One of the largest systems of higher education in the public sector, The University of Wisconsin System (UW System), has become our first state-wide CBE customer. The UW System has created its own CBE program, the UW Flexible Option, to meet the needs of more than 650,000 students who have completed some post-secondary education but lack a degree. Their story is a great example of how CBE is making a positive impact. The UW Flexible Option has already helped students earn degrees at their own pace, recognizing their previous educational and work experiences.
We look forward to continue partnering with our amazing customers, so that we can educate and launch more CBE courses and programs that support any and every type of learner. If you’re interested in learning more about competency-based education and why this learning model is gaining popularity, download the new CBE eBook.