Double the Discussions – by popular demand
Do you have a big question that you can’t get out of your head? Would you like to share your thoughts about a hot topic and hear the thoughts of others? If so, consider submitting a proposal to be a discussion facilitator for a session next July in Kissimmee at #D2LFusion. The Call for Proposals for Fusion 2019 closes on February 8.
Discussion Topics at Fusion (formerly called Roundtable Discussions) provide opportunities to build your network by meeting fellow educators and trainers who have an interest in the topic you’ve chosen for your session.
The feedback we received last year indicated a desire for more discussion opportunities in future conferences. We plan to schedule two Discussion Topics in each of the nine breakout time slots, thus doubling the opportunities for face-to-face engagement. If you’ve been thinking about developing a traditional seminar-style session, pause for a moment to consider whether your topic might work well in a discussion format.
A couple of the popular Discussion Topics in 2018 were:
- Strategies for Supporting Brightspace across Large Institutions
- Evaluating Third-Party Integrations with Brightspace
Here are a few tips for being a successful discussion leader:
- Begin the discussion by setting the stage: defining the topic and common terminology, sharing your thoughts and experiences, and providing a roadmap for where the discussion might lead.
- Come to the discussion with some prepared questions that will stimulate thinking and robust conversation.
- Time constraints make it unlikely that all attendees will have an opportunity to share their thoughts. Try to get as many viewpoints as possible by ensuring that one or two people don’t dominate the discussion.
- Leave time at the end of the session to summarize and discuss possible next steps.
Discussion facilitators earn the full presenter discount at Fusion. We hope to see you in Kissimmee for the start of the conference on Monday, July 15, 2019.