Product Designer - Co-op
What would I be doing in this role at D2L?
Desire2Learn creates industry-leading web-based enterprise Learning systems as well as direct-to-consumer web and mobile apps. Our applications engage millions of users worldwide every day. Located in Kitchener, Ontario, we are one of the fastest growing companies in Canada with a track record of strength and success. Recently, Desire2Learn was awarded one of Waterloo Region's Top 15 Employers, listed by Deloitte as one of 2013’s Best Managed Companies and included as a Top 100 Employer for Young People in Canada.
Whether you are an experienced Co-op or a first year Co-op, we are looking for all around superstars to help create and improve our suite of advanced communication and collaboration tools. You will be constantly learning and looking for ways to innovate. You thrive in a culture where teams speak freely and collaborate to solve interesting problems.
Our previous students rave about our open concept office and overall work environment, as well as the challenge and responsibility they’re given by their leaders while on Co-op. They also cite learning new things & working on a meaningful product that reaches over 10 million learners daily as things that set Desire2Learn apart as a student employer.
This role requires creative problem solvers that can transform product requirements into highly functional user interfaces. You will be designing and influencing products that are going to have an impact on improving teaching and learning. You have a good intuition for what makes an effective experience and a love for designing software to meet our clients' goals and expectations.
You will collaborate with your team, usability specialists and other designers who will challenge you to create the most desirable software. Whether you are designing a web or mobile application, our designers are technically savvy and stay on top of the leading technologies they are designing for.
What would my main duties be?
- Take product requirements and consolidate them into software workflows that meet user expectations
- Develop user stories, wireframes and high and low-fidelity prototypes to communicate a compelling design vision
- Collaborate with your development team, product owner and graphic designers to ensure feasibility of design concepts
- Conduct user research and focus groups by interacting with the community and internal stakeholders
- Proactively vet designs to ensure seamless user experience across the product suite
You are an experienced co-op ready to connect the business to the technology. Your team will rely on your ability to speak-geek and non-geek when required. You possess keen software design skills and have a love for designing software to meet the business needs of our clients.
What is D2L looking for from me?
For this position, we are looking for knowledge or previous co-op experience in one or more of the following:
- Superior technical writing skills
- Strong analytical, communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of software development life cycles including Agile or other project methodologies
- A proven facilitator of people and software projects
- Superior data visualization and communication skills
- Knowledge of web/mobile user experience design principles and accessibility standards
- Graphic design is considered an asset
Are you a creative problem solver that can transform product requirements into highly functional user interfaces? Bring your talent to Desire2Learn!
Type of Position:
Enrollment in a Bachelor's degree program with exposure to Systems Design Engineering, Human Computer Interaction, User Interface Design or equivalent in Computer Science or related technical field preferredApply Now